Fri, November 16, 2018, 7:30 pm
The 31st annual convention of the Classical Mandolin Society of America (CMSA) is coming to the Flamingo Resort & Spa, Santa Rosa, CA, November 14-18, 2018.
Evening concerts, Thursday through Saturday in the Flamingo Resort ballroom, feature guest performers and performances by the three host orchestras. These concerts are open to the public, with a suggested donation of $20.00 at the door.
Thursday, November 15, 7:30 pm in the Flamingo Resort Ballroom:
• Gravenstein Mandolin Ensemble—local Sonoma County mandolin ensemble performs a varied program.
• Mazurka Madness—mazurkas originated in Poland as a folk dance music in ¾ time. Composers from Chopin up to the present have written pieces in this lively form.
• Dorina Frati and Daniele Roi (accompanist)—Italian international performer and mandolin professor Dorina Frati will present a program of Baroque music.
Friday, November 16, 7:30 pm in the Flamingo Resort Ballroom:
• Aurora Mandolin Orchestra—This South Bay Area Mandolin Orchestra, directed by Jo Pellegrini, will present a varied program with a distinctive style.
• Takumi Mamiya—This up and coming young mandolinist from Japan is known for his exciting solo performances.
• San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra—This 15-25 member plucked string orchestra will present a program conducted by director Achille Bocus.
Saturday, November 17, 7:30 pm in the Flamingo Resort Ballroom:
• Takumi Mamiya–Maestro Mamiya’s second concert presents a fresh program of both current and time-honored material.
• Dorina Frati & Daniele Roi (accompanist)—Italian international performer and mandolin professor Dorina Frati will present a program of classical music.
• En Masse Orchestra—Convention attendees form a plucked string orchestra and present a varied program, including a work by convention composer-in-residence Achille Bocus, and conducted by Dr. Jim Bates, director of Orchestral Activities at Otterbein University, in Westerville, Ohio.
2777 Fourth Street